ATTN ON DECK!
CMC directs every Marine above the rank of LCpl to read the following two publications no later than 10 NOV:
Marine Unit Libraries
The titles from the Commandant's Professional Reading List are available to unit leaders as part of the Marine Corps Association (MCA) Unit Commanders' Library Program. Request / ordering instructions are on the MCA website. More info in the PDF below.
Help Pick the Book of the Month!
is the new Book of the Month for October
LCPL and above - start reading!
Commandant's Professional Reading List
The Commandant's Professional Reading List (also known as the Marine Corps Reading List) is a list of required annual reading for all officer and enlisted Marines, whether active duty or reserve.
The Commandant's guidance and additional information can be found in ALMAR 001/13 dated 2 JAN 2013.
Read Gen. Amos' message to Marines in CMC White Letter No. 4-12: Reading in the Marine Corps... "Thirty year old body and 5000 year old mind".
35th Commandant of the Marine Corps
General James F. Amos
How to Use this Guide
Purpose of this Guide
This Guide provides the information Marines need to find Marine Corps Reading List titles in person and/or online at:
- MCCS Base Libraries worldwide
- Library of the Marine Corps, Quantico, VA.
- Navy Library General Reading Program Online Library via NKO
- DoD MWR Library Resources online via Military OneSource
- Free online sources (DoD and other public websites)
How to Use this Guide - Quick Start
Each section contains lists of required and recommended books as well as the appropriate CMC Guidance for:
- Commandant's Choice Books - required for all Marines
- Enlisted Marines - book lists organized by level and rank
- Officers of Marines - book lists organized by level and rank
- Professional Categories - recommended for all Marines and organized by subject, such as Aviation or Leadership
Each book listing contains the information needed to find/access books from the resources listed above in Purpose of this Guide.
The Discussion Guide section provides a downloadable guide to use as a starting point for discussing the books on the Commandant's Professional Reading List.
FAQs & A's
Visit the FAQs page for fast answers to frequently asked questions on how to use this guide, how to get an account, etc.